Long time no see!
Something happened that I was longing for for years: VMware is really trying for independence from Microsoft Windows.
The new vSphere 6.5 was just announced: blog.vmware
Bringing in its wake several awesome features I will try out in the next couple of weeks:
- All new HTML5 only Webinterface without the need for plugins.
- Migration Installation allows you to turn a Windows vCenter Server into a vCenter Server Appliance (Linux)
- The Update Manager is now fully integrated into the Linux Appliance
PowerCLI on Linux and Mac? PowerCLI Core
This sounds to good to be true:
- Using all the CMDlets from the Windows Version on Linux and Mac
- No change needed in any scripts.
There is one small caveat, though: You still need Microsoft Powershell, which is now officially supported for Mac and Linux, too: Powershell for every system
Times are good for Admins using Mac or Linux as Desktop, yeah.
All the best,